(7 Dec 1788 - bet. 1851 - 1855)
|Father||James Fairbairn (m. Agnes LINDSAY) (say 1760 - ); assumes correct Alexander/Isabella and James/Alexander identified4|
|Mother||Agnes Lindsay4 (say 1760 - )|
IntroThe John married to Margaret DEANS has children fitting the naming pattern for parents to be an Alexander and Isabella, and his age fits the John with Alexander and Isabella (ATCHESON) in 1851.
In addition there's the Eckford connection, Alexander and family were living there in 1851, and John and Margaret married there in 1853.
At least one tree5 showed John as the son of an Edward, source unknown, but not believed to be accurate.6,5
BDMsAlexander Fairbairn was born on 7 Dec 1788 at Ednam, ROX, SCT, entry reads James Fairbairn Carter in Ednam and Agnes Lindsay his spouse had a son born 7 Dec 1788 named Alexr, and for some reason has Archbald Shaw bracketed beside the entry.4,7
Alexander Fairbairn married Isabella Atcheson on 25 Nov 1808 at Coldstream, BEW, SCT, Entry reads: Alexander Fairbairn of this Parish and Isabella Atchison of the Parish of Eccles were married Irregularly on the 25th day of Novr 1808 (several later a Rachel FAIRBAIRN of Cornhill married John FOSTER).8,1,9,10
Alexander Fairbairn died bet. 1851 - 1855 ?Kersknowe, Par. of Eckford, ROX, SCT; not immediately obvious in Sct index after 1855.3
CensusAlexander Fairbairn appeared on the census of 1841 at Timpendean, Par. of Jedburgh, ROX, SCT, with Isabella Atcheson, as FAIRBAIRN (all b ROX): Alexander 50 ag lab; Isable (sic) 50; Isable 20 ag lab; Agnes 12 ag lab; (next page) Helen 10 ag lab; Alexander 3 (NB enumerators were instructed to round ages down to the nearest multiple of 5).11
Alexander Fairbairn appeared on the census of 1851 at Kersknowe, Par. of Eckford, ROX, SCT, with Isabella Fairbairn, enumerated as FAIRBAIRN: Alexr 62 head, ag lab b Ednam ROX (originally Ednam BEW); wife Isabella 60 b Swinton, BEW; Children: James 36 (widower) ag lab b Eccles, BEW; John 25 ag lab b Oxnam, ROX; Grdsons: Alexander 12 scholar b Eccles; James 7 b Ancrum, ROX.7
DNA InfoAlexander belongs to a tested line in the FAIRBAIRN Surname DNA Project. Follow this link for supplementary DNA information.
Researcher(s)Alexander Fairbairn is the ancestor of researcher Robert F Fairbairn (F-34).12
|Isabella Atcheson (circa 1791 - Jan 1871)|
|Charts||Lineage 1a: James & Agnes (LINDSAY) FAIRBAIRN|
|Last Edited||27 Mar 2012|
- [S333] GRO, SCT, BDM searches at GRO SCT: Dth 1890 Alexander FAIRBAIRN (Dist 807 #1), transc by Stuart H, rcvd Dec 2003.
- [S873] Jill HILL, "EM FAIRBAIRN/HILLS ex Jim," e-mail to Lorna Henderson, Jun 1998, Mar. 1865 Isabella HILL nee FAIRBAIRN and William GALLOP, extract rcvd Jun 1998.
- [S1005] Letter, Bob WILCOX to Lorna Henderson, Dec 1995.
- [S55] Scottish BMDB entries (to 1854), http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/index.php, Birth 7 Dec 1788 Alexr s/o James FAIRBAIRN & Agnes LINDSAY, Par. of Ednam, ROX Dist 788 010 118, copy d/loaded May 2008.
- [S1062] Letter, Janis ULSTEIN to (1), Rcvd Jan 2003.
- [S1] Lorna Henderson, "FAIRBAIRN Conclusions", Dec 2009.
- [S1610] FreeCensus, UK online at http://freecen.rootsweb.com/cgi/search.pl, 1851 Eckford, ROX SCT1851/787 ED 2 Page 11 Schedule 44, hsehold of Alexander & Isabella FAIRBAIRN, extracted Oct 2005.
- [S1596] Online search: assorted surnames, International Genealogical Index (IGI), Mar. 1808 Alexander FAIRBAIRN and Isabella ATCHISON, batch M117334, extracted Dec 1995.
- [S873] Jill HILL, "EM FAIRBAIRN/HILLS ex Jim," e-mail to Lorna Henderson, Jun 1998, Rcvd Jun 1998.
- [S55] Scottish BMDB entries (to 1854), http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/index.php, Marr. 25 Nov 1808 Alexander FAIRBAIRN (Coldstream) and Isabella ATCHISON (Eccles), at Coldstream, BEW 733/00 0030 0211, copy d/loaded Dec 2010.
- [S1610] FreeCensus, UK online at http://freecen.rootsweb.com/cgi/search.pl, 1841 Jedburgh, ROX SCT1841/792 ED 5 Folio 5 Page 11, hsehold of Alexander & Isabel FAIRBAIRN, extracted Oct 2005.
- [S1649] Robert (Bob) FAIRBAIRN, "EM FAIRBAIRN/DEANS ex Bob F," e-mail to Lorna Henderson, FT of John FAIRBAIRN/Margaret DEANS, rcvd May 2008.
- [S2346] Natasha FAIRBAIRN, "EM FAIRBAIRN/MASON ex Natasha F," e-mail to L Henderson(1), Dth 1 Jan 1871 Isabella FAIRBAIRN, reg. Denholm, Cavers, ROX, extract rcvd Jan 2008.