(bet. 1796 - 1801 - bet. 1841 - 1851)
IntroWith an eldest known son Robert, it has been suggested that John marr. to Jane WADDELL, may be the John son of Robert & Elizabeth (Crosbie) Fairbairn, although this identification puts John slightly on the young side to have married in 1817.
Against this identification is the death/burial of a John FAIRBAIRN of East Third in 1832, two entries after assumed father Robert's, and the possible identification of John & Jane with children William George and a previously unidentified son Jesse, at Coldstream in 1841, which census also places John as slightly younger than usual to marry in 1817, so just maybe he is the son of Robert, and the John buried in 1832 is Robert's father or some other relation?
Another suggestion has been the John baptised Smailholm to Robert and Agnes (WRIGHT) Fairbairn.
However, that John was baptised in 1782, which is a bit far the other way from the age given in the 1841 census (assuming a correct identification, and accurate age of course!)
Coldstream features in the families below.
The John married to Jane WADDELL had sons Robert (1818, Eckford), John (1824, Linton) and Andrew (1828, Smailholm) about whom nothing further was postively known.
Andrew is now fully believed to have married Eliza CLARKE (Plumstead 1853), which id has been further confirmed after finding a better 1851 census for him showing his birth place as Smailholm, rather than the Woolwich barracks Andrew who was recorded as born Church Hill, Berwickshire.
In addition a potential candidate has now (Nov 2011) been found for John, also in the military. He is assumed to have married Helen ROSS (Coldstream 1842).
Circumstantial evidence for the prosecution includes the 1841 census which has likely candidates for both Andrew and John in Eccles, Andrew at Stable Birgham and John, as FREEBAIRN, with future wife Ellen/Helen at Cloverhall.
By 1851 Andrew is with brother George in the Royal Artillery Barracks in Leeds, but John yet to be found.
There is also a likely "cousin" marriage between descendants of John & Helen's sons John and James.
With daughter Christian Nisbet FAIRBAIRN also marrying a FAIRBAIRN (James, son of Ralph FAIRBAIRN & Helen CROW), perhaps there is a connection to that family?3,4,2,5
BDMsJohn Fairbairn was born bet. 1796 - 1801 in SCT The 1841 census, if accurate, tells us that John was not born in Berwickshire.2,1 He married Jane Waddell on 23 Nov 1817 at Smailholm, ROX, SCT.1,2
John Fairbairn died bet. 1841 - 1851 ?Coldstream, BEW, SCT; (there's a burial of a John FAIRBAIRN in Coldstream, 16th Dec 1848 that might be this John).2
CensusJohn Fairbairn appeared on the census of 1841 at Old Quarry Houses, Coldstream, BEW, SCT, with Jane Fairbairn, as FAIRBAIRN: John 40 ag lab b SCT; Jane 40 b BEW; Assumed children: Wm 15, Geo 9, Jesse (male) 7 all b SCT (NB enumerators were instructed to round ages down to the nearest multiple of 5).2
DNA InfoJohn's line needs a/another participant in the FAIRBAIRN Surname DNA Project. Check out the Wanted! page for further information.
LinksClick here to see John's page on WikiTree, a collaborative on-line tree with an easily navigable range of charts.6
|Jane Waddell (bet. 1796 - 1801 - aft. 1841)|
|Charts||John and Jane (Waddell) Fairbairn|
Wanted: John and Jane (Waddell) Fairbairn
|Last Edited||19 Sep 2013|
- [S1961] Www FAIRBAIRN searches and miscellaneous correspondence by LornaHen (1) FAIRBAIRN/WADDELL, ex RootsWeb Roxburghshire Msge Board, posted Jun 2003, extracted Sep 2003.
- [S201] 1841 Census transcripts, Scotland, via Ancestry.com, Coldstream, BEW Par. 733 ED 1 Pg 17 hsehold of John & Jane FAIRBAIRN, extracted Oct 2010.
- [S2] Lorna Henderson, "FAIRBAIRN Analysis", Sep and Nov 2011.
- [S1599] Findmypast online at http://www.findmypast.com, 1851: Leeds, Yorkshire (West Riding), HO107/2320 Leeds Cavalry Barracks, F 1186 Pg 18, extracted Nov 2011.
- [S110] Scotlands People Index, "OPR Roxburghshire, Scotland, FAIRBAIRN Births 1538-1854", Birth/Bap.? 6 Jan 1782 John s/o Robert FAIRBAIRN & Agnes WRIGHT, Smailholm, ROX, 805/ 0010 0108, extracted from index May 2012.
- [S3217] WikiTree online at http://WikiTree.com/, Jun-13.
- [S56] Scottish BMDB entries (from 1855), http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/index.php, Dth 29 Jun 1885 Christina d/o John FAIRBAIRN & Jane WADDELL, w/o James FAIRBAIRN, Coldsream, BEW 733 #22, copy d/loaded Nov 2011.
- [S2153] Various, BDM Certified copy, Marr. 10 Jun 1844 James s/o John FAIRBAIRN & Mary Ann d/o Thomas BAINES, Sheffield, YKS, copy rcvd Nov 2010.
- [S5] Ancestry.com online at http://search.ancestry.com, Marr. 23 Jan 1853 Andrew s/o John FAIRBAIRN; Eliza d/o Wm CLARKE, Par. Ch, Plumstead, KEN, from London Metropolitan Archives, Saint Nicholas, Plumstead, Register of marriages, P97/NIC, Item 026, extracted Apr 2010.
- [S5] Ancestry.com online at http://search.ancestry.com, Marr. 3 Nov 1853 George (22) s/o John FAIRBAIRN & Sarah (25) d/o Thomas BURGESS, Bradford St Peters (Bradford Cathedral), from West Yorkshire Archive Service, Wakefield, Yorkshire, England; Yorkshire Parish Records; Old Reference Number: 40D90/1/3/44; New Reference Number: BDP14, extracted Sep 2011.