(circa 1820 - 20 Oct 1862)
|Father||George Fairbairn (m. Jemima PATON) (say 1775 - bet. 1820 - 1826); (James inked to his parents by informant for his death being nephew John PARIS, and his orphaned children being found in subsequent census records with their aunts)3,4,5|
|Mother||Jemima Paton5 (circa 1779 - Jul 1862)|
IntroThis is the chap single handedly responsible for clogging up our web searches for assorted FAIRBAIRNs with all those hits for "Fairbairn's Crests of the Families of Great Britain and Ireland".
Son James was also a lithographic artist, being mentioned in the Brisbane papers as having produced a "Municipal address" to the visiting Princes (1881).5,6
BDMsJames Fairbairn (the engraver) was born circa 1820 at Edinburgh, MLN, SCT.2,7
James Fairbairn (the engraver) married Mary Muir on 9 Nov 1843 at the Par. Ch, Par. of St Andrew, Edinburgh, MLN, SCT, entry shows James as an engraver residing in Perth, Mary as dtr of George MUIR, tavern keeper, residing 19 Hanover St, St Andrew Parish.2,8,9,10
James Fairbairn (the engraver) died on 20 Oct 1862 at Edinburgh, Dist of St George, MLN, SCT; cert. shows James as 42, engraver, widower of Mary MUIR, d. 3am of C.. paralysis, inf. nephew John PARIS of 13 Market Pl, no parents shown.2,1
CensusThe census of 1851 showed James with his wife Mary, their sons George and James at 41 George St, Edinburgh St George, MLN, SCT, household enumerated as FAIRBAIRN: James 33 engraver emp 3 men b Edin; wife Mary 30 b Edin; Children: George 3 James 11 mos, both b Edin; Servants: HUNTER, DUNN; Lodgers: BROADBENT, COLLINGWOOD, both med. students b ENG.11
James Fairbairn (the engraver) appeared on the census of 1861 at 26 & 27 Clyde St, Edinburgh St Andrew, Dist of St Andrew, MLN, SCT, enumerated as FAIRBAIRN: James 42 engraver on own acct b Edin; Children: George 12, James 10, Mary 6, John 5, all scholars, Ann 3 all b Edin; Nurse Elizabeth DALY; Servant Eliza KIDD.7
|Mary Muir (circa 1821 - bet. 1858 - 1861)|
|Charts||Lineage 1a: George & Jemima/Robina (PATON) FAIRBAIRN|
|Last Edited||29 Nov 2011|
- [S1961] Www FAIRBAIRN searches and miscellaneous correspondence by LornaHen (1) Dth 20 Oct 1862 James Fairbairn, engraver, from http://www.nls.uk/catalogues/resources/sbti/…, extracted Nov 2008.
- [S56] Scottish BMDB entries (from 1855), http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/index.php, Dth 20 oct 1862 James widower of Mary MUIR, Dist of St George, Edin Dist 685/1 pg 286 #858, copy d/loaded Jul 2008.
- [S55] Scottish BMDB entries (to 1854), http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/index.php, Marr. 17 Nov 1845 Margaret d/o George FAIRBAIRN (joiner) & Thomas WALKER (baker) Par. Ch St Cuthberts, Edin, 685/ 020 0460 0085, copy d/loaded Jan 2011.
- [S207] 1871 Census transcripts, Scotland, via Ancestry.com, Edinburgh St Cuthberts, Dist St George, MLN Reg. 685/1 ED 86 Sched 54, hsehold of Thomas & Margaret WALKER, extracted Jan 2011.
- [S1] Lorna Henderson, "FAIRBAIRN Conclusions", Jan 2010.
- [S1918] Newspaper clippings, Municipal address (to "the princes") 1881 James FAIRBAIRN lithographer, Messrs Watson, Fergusson & Co, from The Brisbane Courier (Qld. : 1864-1933), Sat 28 Aug 1881, online at http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article20709132, extracted Jan 2011.
- [S205] 1861 Census transcripts, Scotland, via Ancestry.com, Edinburgh St Andrew, MLN Reg 685/2 ED 88 Sched 50, hsehold of James FAIRBAIRN, extracted Nov 2008.
- [S1596] Online search: assorted surnames, International Genealogical Index (IGI), Marr. 9 Nov 1843 James FAIRBAIRN & Mary MUIR, batch M119849, Edin. Par, MLN, extracted Jul 2008.
- [S5] Ancestry.com online at http://search.ancestry.com, Dth 6 Nov 1884 James s/o FAIRBAIRN & MUIR, reg. QLD, B017267 Pg 4520, from Australia Death Index, 1787-1985, extracted Jan 2011.
- [S55] Scottish BMDB entries (to 1854), http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/index.php, Marr. 9 Nov 1843 James FAIRBAIRN (engraver, Perth); Mary d/o George MUIR (tavern keeper), Par. Ch, St Andrews, Edinburgh, MLN 685/01 0670 0285, copy d/loaded Jan 2011.
- [S203] 1851 Census transcripts, Scotland, via Ancestry.com, Edinburgh St George, MLN Par. 685/1 ED 6B Sched 12, hsehold of James & Mary FAIRBAIRN, extracted Jan 2011.
- [S1596] Online search: assorted surnames, International Genealogical Index (IGI), Birth 13 Sep 1856 John s/o James FAIRBAIRN & Mary MUIR, batch C116851, Edinburgh Parish, Edin. MLN, extracted Nov 2008.