Robert Brinckerhoff Fairbairn1
(27 May 1818 - 27 Jan 1899)
|Father||William Fairbairn2 (Jul 1762 - Feb 1843)|
|Mother||Mary Mott2 (Dec 1776 - Feb 1840)|
BDMsRobert Brinckerhoff Fairbairn was born on 27 May 1818 in Greenwich Village, New York City, NY, USA, "born in New York City in May, 1818, in the section then known as Greenwich village. His father was a Scotchman who came to this country in 1796; his mother an American, formerly Miss Mary Mott of Poughkeepsie-on-the-Hudson."3,1
Robert Brinckerhoff Fairbairn married Juliet Arnold say 1845 ?Troy, NY, USA, Minister being Robert's friend Dr Tucker, married 44 years.3,4
Robert Brinckerhoff Fairbairn died on 27 Jan 1899 at 94 Decatur St, Brooklyn, NY, USA, at age 80; "shortly prior to the sermon preached by the Rev. George B. Hopson, D.D., Acting Warden in the Chapel of St. Stephen's College, Annandale, N. Y., Septuagesima, January 29, 1899" (which sounds like someone trying to date his death well after the event) ; Dth notice (28th Jan) shows "Rev. Robert Brinckerhoff Fairbairn, D.D., LLD, as late warden of St. Stephen's College, Annandale, N.Y., in the 81st year of his age.
Funeral at Holy Trinigy Church, Brookly, corner Montague and Clinton sts, Monday, January 30, 10:30 a.m. Interment at Troy, N.Y.
Troy papers please copy".
The funeral report on the 31st provides the photo and adds that he died at the home of his daughter. The funeral being attended by "a large number of Protestant Episcopal clergymen", a "delegation of students from the Theological Seminary in Manhattan", a "body of graduates from the Annandale institution, besides a number of old friends from Brooklyn, Manhattan and other places. Dr H A Fairbairn, of McDonough-st, a son of the dead man, and his family were present."
An obituary adds: he was born Brooklyn in May 1818; worked, as a youth, in a book store on Franklin St; began studying at the Bristol College, Penn in 1824; later at Washington College (now Trinity) in Hartford, Conn., from which he graduated in 1840; When rector at Troy he "managed to straighten out the affairs of the church so that property amounting to over $200,000 was restored to it; presided over the church at Stillwater-on-the-Hudson, then became principal of Catskill Academy; Ten years later took the chair of mathematics at St Stephen's College, Annandale, later becoming president; a progressive administraton for 28 years; D.D. conferred by Trinity in 1864; LL.D. by Delaware in 1876 (also from Columbia University in 1887; he had been living with his daughter (Alice), and left 2 other children, a daughter living Bristol, Penn, and Dr Henry O (sic) FAIRBAIRN.5,6,7,8,9
CensusRobert Fairbairn was shown as the head of the household in the census of 4 Sep 1850 at Stillwater, Saratoga Co, NY, USA, with Juliet enumerated as FAIRBAIRN: Robert 32 Epis. Clergyman; Juliet 28 both b NY; Also Margaret surname unknown 25 b IRL.11
R B Fairbairn was shown as the head of the household in the census of 1860 at Catskill, Greene Co., NY, USA, with Juliet enumerated as FAIRBAIRN: R B 42 Episcopal Clergy, $2500; Juliet 38, Mary E 9 all b NY; Julia A H 7 b Rhode Island; Henry A 6 b NY; Also Sophia KINERLY 18 b NY.12
Robert Fairbairn was shown as the head of the household in the census of 27 Jun 1870 at Red Hook, Dutchess Co, NY, USA, with Juliet enumerated as FAIRBURN: Robert 52 D.D. -/$5000; Juliett 48 keeping house; Mary E 19, Julia H 17, Henry A 15, Alice 8 All b NY; At same address: TROWBRIDGE Tallah 40 school teacher, Virginia35, and Servants: KELLY, HIGGISN *2.5
The census of 1875 showed Robert with his wife Juliet, their dtrs Mary and Alice at Red Hook, Dutchess Co., NY, USA, household enumerated as Interesting surname variations within this one entry! Living in a stone house valued at 53,000
Robert FAIRBORN 57 b New York, Rev Professor St Stephens College; wife Juliett FAIRBARN 54 b ?Rensalier?; Children: Mary E FAIRBAIRN 24 (ie dropped a couple of years from prior 2 censuses) b Saratoga; Henry A FAIRBARN 20 b Green, student St Stephen's College; Alice BARN, with a belated squiggle in front of it converting it to a possible FAIRBARN 13 b Green; two servants, both SMITH.13
The census of 15 Jun 1880 showed Robert with his wife Juliet, their dtrs Mary and Alice at Red Hook Twp, Annndale Hamlet, Dutchess Co, NY, USA, household enumerated as FAIRBAIRN: Robert B 62 clergyman b NY F b SCT M b NY; wife Juliet 58 keeping hse b NY F b RI M b Mass; Children: Mary E 29, Alice 17, both at home b NY F/M b NY; Servant: SHULTIS.14
|Juliet Arnold (Jun 1822 - Aug 1893)|
|Charts||William & Mary (MOTT) FAIRBAIRN|
|Last Edited||2 May 2013|
- [S1961] Www FAIRBAIRN searches and miscellaneous correspondence by LornaHen (1) Robert Brinckerhoff FAIRBAIRN, "The College Warden" by Henry A FAIRBAIRN, from http://anglicanhistory.org/usa/warden_fairbairn.html, extracted Sep 2008.
- [S2195] Www Rootsweb online at http://wc.rootsweb.com/, Robert (1818-1899/1900) s/o William FAIRBAIN & Mary d/o Henry MOTT & Elizabeth NEWCOMB, from db rkwest of Rosemary, last updated Aug 2008, extracted Sep 2008.
- [S2329] USA census images, Various, 1860 Catskill, Greene, New York; Roll: M653_758; Page: 531; Image: 222, hsehold of R B & Juliet FAIRBAIRN, extracted Sep 2008.
- [S2800] FHL Film 1425557 FAIRBAIRN, Henry A (1855- ) - Biography, Marr. Robert Brinckerhoff FAIRBAIRN & Juliet ARNOLD, pg 220 extracted Dec 2008.
- [S808] Census images, USA, 1870 Red Hook, Dutchess, New York; Roll: M593_928; Page: 141; Image: 48, hsehold of Robert & Juliett FAIRBUN, extracted Sep 2008.
- [S2800] FHL Film 1425557 FAIRBAIRN, Henry A (1855- ) - Biography, Dth 27 Jan 1899 Robert Brinckerhoff FAIRBAIRN Brooklyn, NY, pg 220 extracted Dec 2008.
- [S3120] GenealogyBank Newspapers online at http://GenealogyBank.com, Dth 27 Jan 1899 Rev. Robert Brinckerhoff FAIRBAIRN, D.D., LLD, at Brooklyn, late warden St Stephen's College, from Dth notice NY Herald-Tribune 28th Jan 1899, copy d/loaded Apr 2012.
- [S3120] GenealogyBank Newspapers online at http://GenealogyBank.com, Funeral Report 31 Jan 1899 Dr R FAIRBAIRN, Holy Trinity Church, the Heights, from NY Herald-Tribune 31st Jan 1899, copy d/loaded Apr 2012.
- [S3120] GenealogyBank Newspapers online at http://GenealogyBank.com, Obit 28 Jan 1899 Dr Robert B FAIRBAIRN, from NY Herald-Tribune, copy d/loaded Apr 2012.
- [S5] Ancestry.com online at http://search.ancestry.com, Tax assessment 1864, Rev. Robt FAIRBAIRN, Red Hook, NY, from U.S. IRS Tax Assessment Lists, 1862-1918, extracted Apr 2012.
- [S808] Census images, USA, 1850 Stillwater, Saratoga, New York; Roll: M432_592; Page: 112; Image: 226, hsehold of Robert & Juliet FAIRBAIRN, extracted Sep 2008.
- [S808] Census images, USA, 1860 Catskill, Greene, New York; Roll: M653_758; Page: 531; Image: 222, hsehold of R B & Juliet FAIRBAIRN, extracted Sep 2008.
- [S1597] FamilySearch Labs Record Search (LDS) online at http://search.labs.familysearch.org/recordsearch/, 1875 Red Hook, Dutchess, NY, from New York State Census, 1875, family 125, film 565247, hsehold of Robert & Juliett FAIRBORN, extracted from image Apr 2012.
- [S808] Census images, USA, 1880 Anandale Hamlet, Dutchess, New York; Roll: T9_825; FHFilm: 1254825; Pg 271.1000; ED 63; Image: 0547, hsehold of Robert B & Juliet FAIRBAIRN, extracted Sep 2008.
- [S2800] FHL Film 1425557 FAIRBAIRN, Henry A (1855- ) - Biography, Birth 5 May 1855 Henry Arnold s/o Robert Brinckerhoff & Julia (Arnold) FAIRBAIRN, Catskill, NY, NY, from Pg 219, extracted Dec 2008.