(30 Apr 1817 - 25 Nov 1887)
|Father||Thomas Fairbairn4,5 (say 1790 - )|
|Mother||Helen Brown5 (say 1780 - )|
BDMsThomas Fairbairn was born on 30 Apr 1817 Selkirk, SEL, SCT.1,6,7,8,5,9 He was baptized on 22 Jun 1817 Selkirk, SEL; entry reads: Thomas Fairbairn residenter in Selkirk and Helen Brown his spouse had a Child baptized upon the 22 June 1817. Born 30th April 1817. Wit: "in presence of the congregation."9
Thomas Fairbairn married Margaret Jackson on 28 Jul 1844 Dist of St Olave's Southwark, SRY, ENG, LDS index shows Thomas as s/o Thomas and Margaret as s/o John; Dth of son John erroneously has mother as Ann JACKSON instead of Margaret, but his birth index shows Margaret.10,4,11,2
Thomas Fairbairn died on 25 Nov 1887 nr Yinnar, Gippsland, VIC, AUS, at age 70; Camperdown Chronicle Saturday 3 December 1887
A sad accident happened about a fortnight ago in Gippsland to Mr. Thomas Fairbairn, late of Belfast, father of Mr. Fairbairn, clerk of works over the school and courthouse here, and of Mis. Vaughan, of Larpent. Whilst driving home in his buggy from the railway station, and within a few-yards of his own gate on his property at Yinnar, he was thrown from his seat, through the wheels going into a rut, and was so badly hurt in his spine that the upper part of his body was quite paralysed. A doctor was brought from Sale, who recommended his removal to Melbourne, where he lingered for ten days, and then died with christian resignation. Mr. Fairbairn was a mason by trade, and a contractor, and was a man of considerable ability, being well up in geological reasearches. He was a cousin of the famous Thomas Carlyle, by whose uncle be was brought up, and he had many anecdotes to tell of the great writer. Not very long ago he visited this district, and was much surprised at seeing our monument to Burns, which was sculptured by Greenshields, with whom he had worked in his younger days. It was most interesting, too, to hear him speak of Greenshields, with whom he seemed to have lived on terms of great friendship. The remains of the deceased gentlemen were buried in Colac last Saturday. He leaves a widow, who, like himself, has seen the age of 70, man's allotted span, and it is sad to think that such a long and exemplary life should have been thus brought to a violent and sudden termination.
The Argus (Melbourne) Monday 26 November 1894
FAIRBAIRN.—In loving memory of my dear husband, Thomas Fairbairn, who died at Melbourne 25th November, 1887. (Inserted by his loving wife Margaret.) Gone, but not forgotten
The Argus (Melbourne) Monday 25 November 1899
FAIRBAIRN. —In affectionate remembrance of my dear father, Thomas Fairbairn, who died at Melbourne, November 25, 1887. (Inserted by his daughter
CensusThomas Fairbairn appeared on the census of 1851 Charterhouse St, Par. of St Sepulchre, Dist of West London, MDX, ENG, with Margaret Fairbairn, enumerated as FAIRBURN: Thomas 33 mason b SCT; wife Margaret 31 b SCT; Children: Henry William 5 b IRL; Ann Jackson 3 b Hull.8
DNA InfoThomas's line needs a/another participant in the FAIRBAIRN Surname DNA Project. Check out the Wanted! page for further information.
LinksClick here to see Thomas's page on WikiTree, a (free) collaborative on-line tree.15
|Margaret Jackson (circa 1819 - Dec 1899)|
|Charts||Thomas and Margaret (JACKSON) FAIRBAIRN|
|Last Edited||6 Jun 2015|
- [S1918] Newspaper clippings, Marr. 1 Sep 1886 Maggie 2nd d/o Thos. FAIRBAIRN, "cousin of the late Thomas Carlyle"; W F PLEYDELL of Melbourne, residence bride's parents, Sunny Hollow, Yinnar Gipps Land, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article/11575156, from The Argus (Melbourne, Vic. : 1848-1954), Wed Oct 6,1886, extracted Nov 2010.
- [S5] Ancestry.com online at http://search.ancestry.com, Dth 1932 John s/o Thomas FAIRBAIRN & Ann JACKSON, Balwyn, VIC, #4207, extracted Nov 2010.
- [S5] Ancestry.com online at http://search.ancestry.com, Birth 1854 John s/o Thomas FAIRBAIRN & Margaret JACKSON, reg. Belfast, VIC, #2694, from Australia Birth Index, 1788-1922, extracted Sep 2011.
- [S1597] FamilySearch Labs Record Search (LDS) online at http://search.labs.familysearch.org/recordsearch/, Marr. 28 Jul 1844 Thomas s/o Thomas FAIRBAIRN to Margaret d/o John JACKSON, St Olave's, Southwark, LND, from England Marriages, 1538–1973 batch I02081-9 film 254564 ref. yr 1844-1860 p 220, extracted Sep 2011.
- [S3426] Scotland: OPR index, "Scotland, Births and Baptisms, 1564-1950", Birth 30th Apr Bap. 22 Jun 1817 Thomas s/o Thomas FAIRBAIRN & Helen BROWN, Selkirk, SEL, from https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XY4S-FRH film 1067928 batch C11778-5, extracted Jun 2015.
- [S3053] Sandy FINLAY, "Corres. re FAIRBAIRN/MERCER/FINLAY ex Sandy F," e-mail to Lorna Henderson, Dth 1887 Thomas FAIRBAIRN, late of Belfast, at Gippsland, from Camperdown Chronicle, Sat 3 Dec 1887, transcr. rcvd Sep 2011.
- [S5] Ancestry.com online at http://search.ancestry.com, Dth 1887 Thomas FAIRBAIRN, VIC, #14454 parents unknown,from Australia Death Index, 1787-1985, extracted Sep 2011.
- [S202] 1851 Census images, England & Wales, via Ancestry.com, Par. of St Sepulchre, Dist of West London, MDX HO107/526 ED 3a F 143 Pg 23 Sched 2, hsehold of Thomas & Margaret FAIRBURN, extracted Sep 2011.
- [S55] Scottish BMDB entries (to 1854), http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/index.php, Birth 30 Apr Bap. 22 Jun 1817 Thomas to Thomas (residenter) FAIRBAIRN & Helen BROWN, Selkirk, SEL, 778/00 0030 0400, copy d/loaded Jun 2015.
- [S1918] Newspaper clippings, Dth 4 Dec 1899 Margaret, relict of Thos FAIRBAIRN (of Yinnar, Gippsland), at the home of her son-in-law Mr S VAUGHAN, "Twyford" Newtown, Geelong, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article/9040540, from The Argus (Melbourne, Vic. : 1848-1954), Tue Dec 5,1899, extracted Nov 2010.
- [S1595] Www FreeBMD ENG online at http://freebmd.rootsweb.com/cgi/search.pl, Mar. 1844 Q3 Thomas FAIRBAIRN & Margaret JACKSON, reg. St Olave's Southwark, SRY, 4/493, extracted Sep 2011.
- [S3053] Sandy FINLAY, "Corres. re FAIRBAIRN/MERCER/FINLAY ex Sandy F," e-mail to Lorna Henderson, Dth 25 Nov 1887 Thomas FAIRBAIRN, Melbourne, from 'IN MEMORIAM', The Argus (Melbourne) Monday 26 November 1894, transcr. rcvd Sep 2011.
- [S2] Lorna Henderson, "FAIRBAIRN Analysis", Sep 2011, updated Jun 2015.
- [S2449] Wikipedia online at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page, Thomas CARLYLE(1795-1881), online at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Carlyle, extracted Sep 2011.
- [S3217] WikiTree online at http://WikiTree.com/, Jun 2015.
- [S5] Ancestry.com online at http://search.ancestry.com, Dth 1920 Ann Jackson VAUGHAN, d/o Thomas FAIRBURN & Margaret JACKSON, Bendigo, VIC, 175 aged 72, from Australia Death Index, 1787-1985, extracted Sep 2011.
- [S5] Ancestry.com online at http://search.ancestry.com, Dth 1928 Margt PLEYDELL d/o Thos FRIRBAIRN (as indexed) & Margaret JACKSON, "Cwell, VIC" #4745, aged 75, extracted Nov 2010.
- [S1597] FamilySearch Labs Record Search (LDS) online at http://search.labs.familysearch.org/recordsearch/, Birth 6 Sep Bap. 28 Sep 1851 Margaret d/o Thomas & Margaret FAIRBAIRN, St Luke Old Street, Finsbury, LND, from England Births and Christenings, 1538-1975 batch C02069-4 film 585445, extracted Sep 2011.