Sir William Fairbairn 1st Baronet1
(19 Feb 1789 - 18 Aug 1874)
|Father||Andrew Fairbairn2,3,4 (Feb 1758 - Jan 1844)|
|Mother||Margaret Henderson2,4 (say 1760 - Jan 1820)|
BDMsWilliam Fairbairn was born on 19 Feb 1789 Kelso, ROX, SCT, entry reads: Andrew Fairbairn & Margaret Henderson his spouse had a son born the 19th february and baptd the 8th March 1789 named William Witnesses Wm Bishop John Mac Dougall.4,2 He was baptized on 8 Mar 1789 Kelso, ROX; Wit: Wm Bishop John Mac Dougall.4
William Fairbairn married Dorothy Marr on 8 Jun 1816 Bedlington, NBL, ENG, Marriage transcript shows William as in the Parish of Manchester (His life shows 7 sons, 2 dtrs, wife a Miss MARR and married in 1816.)2,3,5,6
Sir William Fairbairn 1st Baronet died on 18 Aug 1874 Moor Park, Dist of Farnham, SRY, ENG, at age 85; son-in-law's, Mr BATEMANs. Caught chill at opening of new buildings at Owens College 1870. Chapter XXIV of his life describes a tablet erected in his honor. Born at Kelso, 18 (sic) Feb 1789, and died at Moor Park, Surrey, 18 Aug 1874.3,2,7,8 He was buried on 25 Aug 1874 St Mary the Virgin, Prestwich, LAN, ENG, transcr. of entry reads: Burial: 25 Aug 1874 St Mary the Virgin, Prestwich, Lancs.
William Fairbairn, Baronet - son of Andrew Fairbairn; Age: 85; Abode: Polygon Ardwick; Buried by: N. W. Gibson Canon.9
CensusWilliam Fairburn was shown as the head of the household in the census of 1861 The Polygon, Ardwick, Manchester, LAN, ENG, with Dorothy enumerated as FAIRBURN: William 72 civil engineer b Kelso, ROX; wife Dorothy 69 b Morpeth, NBL; plus a butler, cook, 2 hsemaids, ladys maid & kitchen hand.13
William Fairburn was shown as the head of the household in the census of 1871 Polygon, Ardwick, Manchester, LAN, ENG, with Dorothy enumerated as FAIRBURN (sic): William head, mar, 82 civil engineer b Kelso SCT; (next page) wife Dorothy 79 b Morpeth, NBL; Dtr in law Bessie Ann, widow 39 annuitant b Manchester; Grdson Wm Murray, 21 undergrad Cambridge b Manchester. Servants: lady's maid, cook, 2 housemaids and a kitchen maid.14
DNA InfoWilliam's line needs a/another participant in the FAIRBAIRN Surname DNA Project. Check out the Wanted! page for further information.
|Dorothy Marr (Oct 1791 - Jan 1882)|
|Charts||Lineage 2b1: John & Helen (ANDERSON) FAIRBAIRN|
|Last Edited||7 May 2013|
- [S2449] Wikipedia online at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page, Photo from frontespiece of his life, online at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Fairbairn, d/loaded Nov 2010.
- [S1062] Letter, Janis ULSTEIN to (1), From "The Life of Sir William Fairbairn, Bart. (1877). Written by "Himself", extract rcvd Jun 2006.
- [S1038] G Roy & Pat FAIRBAIRN, "Corres. FAIRBAIRN/WANLESS, Quebec ex G Roy & Pat F.," e-mail to Lorna Henderson, Feb 1996.
- [S55] Scottish BMDB entries (to 1854), http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/index.php, Birth 19 Feb Bap 8 Mar 1789 William to Andrew FAIRBAIRN & Margaret HENDERSON, Kelso, ROX Dist 793, copy d/loaded Mar 2008.
- [S1961] Www FAIRBAIRN searches and miscellaneous correspondence by LornaHen (1) http://www.cs.ncl.ac.uk/genuki/Transcriptiosn/NGL/MBED.html 1813-1837 Marriages visited 7 Oct 2000.
- [S1599] Findmypast online at http://www.findmypast.com, Marr. 8 Jun 1816 William FAIRBAIRN (Par. of Manchester, LAN) & Dorothy MARR, Bedlington, NBL, from Northumberland & Durham FHS, extracted Dec 2008.
- [S1595] Www FreeBMD ENG online at http://freebmd.rootsweb.com/cgi/search.pl, Dth 1874 William FAIRBAIRN, aged 85, reg. Farnham, Sep qtr 2a/68, extracted Jan 2009.
- [S1513] Burke, Burke's Peerage, Birth 19 Feb 1789 Dth 18 Aug 1874 William FAIRBAIRN 1st Bt, s/o Andrew FAIRBAIRN & Margaret HENDERSON, 107th Ed, 2003, p1371, extracted Jan 2009.
- [S3264] Lancashire OPC Database by Online Parish Clerks online at http://www.lan-opc.org.uk/, Bur. 25 Aug 1874 William FAIRBAIRN, Baronet - son of Andrew FAIRBAIRN; Aged 85, bur. St Mary the Virgin, Prestwich, LAN, transcr. online at http://www.lan-opc.org.uk/Prestwich/stmary/…, from Register: Burials 1872 - 1885, Page 59, Entry 468, LDS Film 2356234, extracted May 2013.
- [S2786] John BURLEIGH, "EM FAIRBAIRN/SCOTT ex John B," e-mail to Lorna Henderson, Peter FAIRBAIRN, s/o William, schoolmaster Galashiels from Hall's History of Galashiels (1898), Sect 4 Ch 1 Pg 452/3, extract rcvd Jan 2009.
- [S3256] Will/Inventory: Helen FAIRBAIRN d Edinburgh 1867 (Will (22 Sep 1865) Inventory (21 Aug 1867) Proved 21 Aug 1867) Edinburgh Sheriff Court SC70/4/111 and SC70/1/136: Will 22 Sep 1865 Helen FAIRBAIRN of 18 Buccleugh Place, Edin., SC70/4/111, copy d/loaded Apr 2013.
- [S2693] Oxford Dictionary of National Biography, online ed online at http://www.oxforddnb.com/, James Burnle, 'Fairbairn, Sir William, first baronet (1789-1874)', rev. Robert Brown, Oxford University Press, 2004, accessed 8 March 2008.
- [S204] 1861 Census images, England & Wales, via Ancestry.com, Ardwick, LAN, ENG Dist 9 RG9/2869 Folio 82 Page 1 Schedule #2, hsehold of William & Dorothy FAIRBURN, extracted May 2005.
- [S206] 1871 Census images, England & Wales, via Ancestry.com, Ardwick, LAN, ENG Dist 9 RG103976 Folio 60 Pages 3&4 Schedule #7, hsehold of William & Dorothy FAIRBURN, copy d/loaded May 2005.
- [S1961] Www FAIRBAIRN searches and miscellaneous correspondence by LornaHen (1) http://pw1.netcom.com/~latrobe/d253.html visited 7 Oct 2000.
- [S1961] Www FAIRBAIRN searches and miscellaneous correspondence by LornaHen (1) http://www.williamholmanhunt.com/bairn.html visited 7 Oct 2000.
- [S2847] Cambridge University Alumni Database online at http://venn.csi.cam.ac.uk/, 10 Jan 1868 William Murray (s/o William Andrew of Kensington Gdns Sq, grdson of Sir William FAIRBAIRN), admitted pens. Trinity College, extracted May 2009.
- [S1513] Burke, Burke's Peerage, Birth 13 Oct 1828 Dth 18 Aug 1859 Peter s/o William FAIRBAIRN 1st Bt, and Dorothy MAR, 107th Ed, 2003, p1371, extracted Jan 2009.
- [S2847] Cambridge University Alumni Database online at http://venn.csi.cam.ac.uk/, Dth 21 Jul 1888 Adam Henderson FAIRBAIRN, Fawley Rectory, extracted May 2009.