John Fairbairn (m. Helen CAMPBELL)1
(circa 1770 - 28 Mar 1849)
IntroThere are two contemporary John FAIRBAIRNs buried at Swinton, and dying within months of each other.
A John of the right age was baptised to John and Elizabeth (CARSE) FAIRBAIRN at Swinton in 1769, but which of the two, if either, is not known.
Naming pattern is of little help, although the John married to Helen CAMPBELL, is at least known to have a son John.
From the family of John and Alice/Alison (AINSLIE), it could be deduced that Alexander was an important name to them, with both the 2nd known (short-lived) daughter being Alexandria, and a later son.
John and Alice/Alison (AINSLIE) FAIRBAIRN are also being considered as potential parents for Robert of Eckford of unknown age, this being from the assumption that the John that pre-dates his marriage to Elizabeth YOUNG may be a first son, and the only known daughter was named Margaret Alison, with the Alison assumed to be of significance to Robert's side of the family.2
BDMsJohn Fairbairn was born circa 1770 Swinton?, BEW, SCT, place assumed from burial - Swinton h/stones show two Johns of an age, both died 1849.1,3 He married Helen Campbell say 1805 ?Eccles, BEW, SCT; no marriage entry obvious on igi.1,4
John Fairbairn died on 28 Mar 1849 Printonan, Par. of Eccles, BEW, SCT; 79 yrs.1 He was buried with Helen Campbell in the Parish Churchyard, Swinton, BEW, SCT, Ref #87: John FAIRBAIRN, d. at Printonan 28.3.1849 79 yrs wife Helen CAMPBELL 14.12.1862 86 yrs Son Robt d. Bogend 29.8.1902 87 yrs his wife Isabella BRUCE d Bogend 22.1.1903 82 yrs.1
CensusJohn Fairbairn appeared on the census of 1841 Darnchester West Mains, Par. of Coldstream, BEW, SCT, with Helen Fairbairn, as FAIRBAIRN: John 70 ag lab b BEW; Helen 65 b ENG; Robert 25 ag lab; Janet 20 F.S. ag lab, both b BEW (NB enumerators were instructed to round ages down to the nearest multiple of 5.)3
DNA InfoJohn belongs to a tested line in the FAIRBAIRN Surname DNA Project. Follow this link for supplementary DNA information.
Researcher(s)John Fairbairn (m. Helen CAMPBELL) is the ancestor of researcher David Fairbairn (F-9). Email: David.5
|Helen Campbell (circa 1776 - Dec 1862)|
|Charts||Lineage 1b4: John & Helen (CAMPBELL) FAIRBAIRN|
|Last Edited||11 Feb 2013|
- [S835] Borders FHS, MIs: Swinton, BEW, Extracted from copy held National Library, Wgtn, NZ Jun 2003.
- [S2] Lorna Henderson, "FAIRBAIRN Analysis", Apr 2011.
- [S201] 1841 Census transcripts, Scotland, via Ancestry.com, Coldstream BEW Par. 733 ED 6, hsehold of John & Helen FAIRBAIRN, extracted Jan 2008.
- [S888] FAIRBAIRN, International Genealogical Index (IGI), FAIRBAIRN/CAMPBELL Batch 7204814-59-820217 extracted Jul 2003.
- [S2429] David FAIRBAIRN, "EM FAIRBAIRN/JEFFREY/LEITHEAD ex David F," e-mail to L Henderson (1), Rcvd Jun 2006.
- [S56] Scottish BMDB entries (from 1855), http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/index.php, Dth 18 Jun 1883 Ellen LOGAN d/o John FAIRBAIRN & Ellen CAMPBELL, Bastle, Foulden, BEW 741/00 Pg 2 #6, copy d/loaded Dec 2010.
- [S888] FAIRBAIRN, International Genealogical Index (IGI), FAIRBAIRN/CAMPBELL Batch 7206616-61-820228 extracted Jul 2003.
- [S56] Scottish BMDB entries (from 1855), http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/index.php, Dth 27 Jan 1892 John FAIRBAIRN, reg. Cavers, ROX Dist 785 pg 2 #4, copy d/loaded Jan 2008.