Robert Fairbairn (m. Ann CURLE)1
(circa Mar 1781 - 22 Nov 1856)
|Father||George Fairbairn (m. Janet MURRAY)2,3 (say 1745 - aft. 1789)|
|Mother||Janet Murray2,3 (say 1747 - aft. 1788)|
IntroOf the known sons of George and Janet (Murray) Fairbairn, we have a representative from the line believed to be their son James (married Helen Goodfellow).
Robert is a proven son (according to his 1856 death certificate), so a descendant of his line would be great, although they do appear to be thin on the ground unless there are other children not home at any census.
John, baptised Kelso 1778, the other brother of James and Robert has not (yet) been traced, so other possibilities may exist.
Feb 2009 update: Robert's great grandson Robert (marr. Annie Arthur) has been found emigrating to New York (intending permanent residence), appears there in the 1930 census, and obviously found the States not to his liking, as the family next appear returning to Edinburgh in 1931. The family consists of 3 sons (Robert, Thomas and Ronald) and a daughter Margaret. So there might yet be a suitable candidate to be found to prove the dna signature of this line and prove the identification that his brother James is the James who married Helen Goodfellow.4
BDMsRobert Fairbairn was born circa Mar 1781 Kelso, ROX, SCT.2 He was baptized on 22 Mar 1781 in the Par, of Kelso, ROX, SCT.2
Robert Fairbairn married Ann Curle on 25 Jan 1811 at the Rutherford Boathouse, Par. of Maxton, ROX, SCT, entry dated 3rd (sic) Jan 1811 "Robert Fairbairn in this Parish and Anne Curel (sic) in the Parish of Kelso single persons were thrice proclaimed in order to marriage and no objections offered and were married at Rutherford Boathouse on the 25th by the Revd Mr John Thomson Minr here."5,6
Robert Fairbairn died on 22 Nov 1856 in the Tweed, Opp. Kelso, ROX, SCT; cert shows Robert as a widower, 78, horse breaker, usu resid 4 Lillies Close, Roxburgh St Kelso, s/o George FAIRBAIRN, farm steward, and Janet m.s. MURRAY, both dec'd, no medical attendant, inf son William, reg 24th or poss 26th, at Maxwellheugh, Kelso.3
CensusRobert Fairbairn appeared on the census of 1851 Roxburgh St, Kelso, ROX, SCT, enumerated as FAIRBAIRN: Robert 70 head horse trainer b Wooden, ROX.7,8
DNA InfoRobert's line needs a/another participant in the FAIRBAIRN Surname DNA Project. Check out the Wanted! page for further information.
|Ann Curle (circa 1781 - bet. 1841 - 1851)|
|Charts||Lineage 1b4a1: George & Janet (MURRAY) FAIRBAIRN|
Wanted: Robert and Ann (Curle) Fairbairn
|Last Edited||4 Jan 2012|
- [S888] FAIRBAIRN, International Genealogical Index (IGI), Bap. 22 Mar 1781 Robert to George FAIRBAIRN & Janet MURRAY, batch C117935, Kelso, ROX, extracted pre 1999.
- [S1596] Online search: assorted surnames, International Genealogical Index (IGI), Bap. 22 Mar 1781 Robert to George FAIRBAIRN & Janet MURRAY, batch C117935, Kelso, ROX, extracted Apr 2008.
- [S56] Scottish BMDB entries (from 1855), http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/index.php, Dth 22 Nov 1856 Robert FAIRBAIRN, reg. Par. of Kelso, ROX, Dist 793 Pg 26 #76, copy d/loaded May 2008.
- [S14] FAIRBAIRN Surname DNA Project online at http://worldfamilies.net/surnames/fairbairn/results.html, Feb 2009.
- [S888] FAIRBAIRN, International Genealogical Index (IGI), Marr. 25 Jan 1811 Robert FAIRBAIRNE & Ann CURLE, batch 7206955 sheet 88 Srce call 0820253, Kelso, ROX, patron submission, extracted Oct 2000.
- [S55] Scottish BMDB entries (to 1854), http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/index.php, Marr. 25 Jan 1811 Robert FAIRBAIRN & Ann CUREL, Maxton, Dist 798 0010 0219 , copy d/loaded Apr 2008.
- [S203] 1851 Census transcripts, Scotland, via Ancestry.com, Kelso, ROX Par. 793 ED 6 P 6 Sched 37, heshold of Robert FAIRBAIRN, extracted Dec 2008.
- [S1610] FreeCensus, UK online at http://www.freecen.org.uk/, SCT1851/793 Kelso ROX ED 6 F 814 Sched 37, hsehold of Robert FAIRBAIRN, extracted Dec 2008.
- [S888] FAIRBAIRN, International Genealogical Index (IGI).
- [S56] Scottish BMDB entries (from 1855), http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/index.php, Dth 27 Oct 1886 Robert FAIRBAIRN, reg. Kelso, ROX Dist 793 Pg 26 #77, copy d/loaded Apr 2008.