(circa Nov 1808 - 30 Aug 1861)
|Father||William Fairbairn2 (circa Oct 1755 - Aug 1809)|
|Mother||May Carter2 (circa 1767 - Jul 1834)|
BDMsThomas Fairbairn was born circa Nov 1808 in the Par. of Greenlaw, BEW, SCT.3,4 He was baptized on 1 Dec 1808 at Greenlaw, Berwickshire.3
Thomas Fairbairn married Catherine Charters say 1840 ?Edrom, BEW, SCT.4
Thomas Fairbairn died on 30 Aug 1861 Melrose, ROX, SCT; cert. shows Thomas as 53 ag lab married to Catherine CHARTERS; s/o William FAIRBAIRN ag lab and Mary m.s. CARTER both dec'd; Inf sister-in-law Jessie ?Cossinian??; Reg. Sep 11th Melrose.2 He was buried with Catherine Charters The Abbey, Melrose, ROX, SCT, H/stone reads: Sacred to the memory of Thomas Fairbairn Melrose who died 30th Augt 1861 aged 52 years
and of his children
Robert who died 21st Jany 1856 aged 11 years
May who died 12th Feby 1858 aged 4 years
Catharine who died 25th June 1861 aged 5 years
Barbara Pott who died 27th Octr 1877 aged 17 years
Janet Bruce who died at Crieff 14th March 1879 aged 27 years
also of his wife Catharine Charters who died 27th Nov 1902 aged 83 years
Also John who died at Glasgow 21st Novr 1919 aged 69 years.5,6
CensusThomas Fairbairn appeared on the census of 1841 Village, Ednam, ROX, SCT, in the household of James Fairbairn and Mary Fairbairn.7,8,9
The census of 1851 showed Thomas with his wife Catherine, their sons William, Robert and John Abbey St, Melrose, ROX, SCT, household enumerated as FAIRBAIRN: Thomas 39 drayman (Freecen as dairyman) b Greenlaw, BEW; wife Catharine 32 b Ednam, ROX; Children: William 7; Robert 5 both scholars b Ednam, ROX; John 2 b Melrose.10
Thomas Fairbairn appeared on the census of 1861 Melrose, ROX, with Catherine Fairbairn, enumerated as FAIRBAIRN: Thos 52 labourer b Greenlaw, BEW; wife Cath 42 b Edrom, ROX; Children: William 19 plumber b Edrom; John 12, Janet 9, Catherine 5 scholars; Barbara P 1 all b Melrose.4
DNA InfoThomas's line needs a/another participant in the FAIRBAIRN Surname DNA Project. Check out the Wanted! page for further information.
|Catherine Charters (circa 1819 - Nov 1902)|
|Charts||Lineage 2c: William & Alison (CLINKSCALE) FAIRBAIRN|
Wanted: Thomas & Catherine (CHARTERS) FAIRBAIRN
|Last Edited||4 Nov 2011|
- [S888] FAIRBAIRN, International Genealogical Index (IGI).
- [S56] Scottish BMDB entries (from 1855), http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/index.php, Dth 30 Aug 1861 Thomas FAIRBAIRN, reg. Melrose, ROX Dist 799/01Pg 13 #37, copy d/loaded Mar 2009.
- [S3110] Scotlands People Index, "OPR Berwick, Scotland, FAIRBAIRN Births 1538-1854", Bap. 1 Dec 1808 Thomas s/o William FAIRBAIRN & May CARTER, Par. of Greenlaw, BEW, 743/0010 0140, index searched May 2009.
- [S205] 1861 Census transcripts, Scotland, via Ancestry.com, Melrose, ROX Reg. 799/1 ED 1 Pg 11 Sched 68, hsehold of Thos & Cath FAIRBAIRN, extracted Mar 2009.
- [S2333] Rootsweb Msge Board online at http://boards.rootsweb.com, H/stone 1861 Thomas FAIRBAIRN & family, Melrose, ROX, posted by Cheryl, photo d/loaded Aug 2011.
- [S2605] BFHS, MIs: Melrose Abbey, #494 Thomas FAIRBAIRN & family, extracted Aug 2011.
- [S1610] FreeCensus, UK online at http://www.freecen.org.uk/, SCT1841/788 ED 2 Pg 2, Ednam, ROX, hsehold of James FAIRBAIRN, extracted Sep 2003.
- [S201] 1841 Census transcripts, Scotland, via Ancestry.com, Ednam, ROX Par. 788 ED 2 Pg 2 , hsehold of James & Mary FAIRBAIRN, rechecked Mar 2009.
- [S1] Lorna Henderson, "FAIRBAIRN Conclusions", Nov 2011.
- [S203] 1851 Census transcripts, Scotland, via Ancestry.com, Melrose, ROX Par. 799 ED 2A Pg 13 Sched 55, hsehold of Thomas & Catherine FAIRBAIRN, extracted Mar 2009.
- [S333] GRO, SCT, BDM searches at GRO SCT: Death cert. 1861 Catherine FAIRBAIRN trans. Robert McC Sep 2002.
- [S1960] Sanna F Ross (Gaffney), "EM FAIRBAIRN: Borders ex Sanna G," e-mail to Lorna & GenForum FAIRBAIRN, Mar 2001.