John Fairbairn (m. Agnes GIBSON)1
(circa Jan 1717 - Dec 1793)
|Father||John Fairbairn (m. Magdalen BO)2 (say 1685 - circa 1721)|
|Mother||Magdalen Bo2 (say 1685 - aft. 1722)|
IntroThe working assumption is that it was not a coincidence that in 1784 a John Fairbairn was reported tenant at West Morriston, where a James with eldest son John (ie fits naming pattern) is later living.
This, together with both dna evidence from descendants, and the Earlston headstone, allow us to piece together the family as shown here.
The dna evidence is an excellent genetic match between John(F-17), descendant of John and Jessie (JOHNSTON), and Stewart(F-38), descendant of James & Isabel (TAIT) it would seem likely that the suspected family group for John & Magdalen (BO) FAIRBAIRN may well be reality.
James, marr. to Isabel TAIT, can be connected as son of John by both naming pattern of James/Isabel's children, and from information placing both James and John at Morriston in the 1780s.
Additional circumstantial evidence includes:
- James had a son following the family occupation of miller
- Greenlaw OPRS show that a Magdalen and an Isabel Fairbairn both married there around the same time,
- with Magdalen looking highly likely to be the d/o James & Elizabeth PURVES, given the MACK/TAYLOR/PURVES links found via assorted wills, and Isabel likely to be the d/o of John.
This latter id strengthened somewhat by the same day/event baptisms of James' and John's respective children Margaret and James with the entry not showing them as separated by "eod" as elsewhere on the page.3,4,5,6,7,8
BDMsJohn Fairbairn was born circa Jan 1717 Lidgatehead, Fanns, Par. of Earlston, BEW, SCT.2,9 He was baptized on 3 Feb 1717 in the Par. of Earlston, BEW, SCT; entry reads: "John son to John fairbairn Lidgatehead in fanns."2
John Fairbairn married Agnes Gibson on 28 Feb 1749 Legerwood, BEW, SCT, entry reads: Married John Fairbairn in the parish of Earlstoun and Agnes Gibson in this parish Testificates of proclamations produced from Earlstoun.1
John Fairbairn died in Dec 1793 Earlston, BEW, SCT; (might have died at Morriston.)9,4 He was buried with Agnes Gibson at Earlston, Berwickshire, assumed to be this h/stone, although I can't piece the family together on shown info: #578: IMO __ FAIRBAIRN tenant in ___ who died 12.1793 (?) aged 76 yrs ___ Agnes GIBSON his wife aged 85 yrs ___ (wonder if this was "erected by, or parents of") John Fairbairn Town Farm Earlstoun much esteemed by all those who knew him also the said John FAIRBAIRN who died 7.12.1817 aged 81 yrs their daughter Agnes FAIRBAIRN who died at Lauder 22.11.1877 aged 70 yrs also their dtr Helen FAIRBAIRN who d. at Greenend 14.3.1887 aged 83 yrs
(given Agnes and Helen were dtrs of John FAIRBAIRN and Jane ROMANIS, and John was living in Grizzlefield, Earlston in 1841 as an 80 yr old, with John Jr - see next stone - and 1817 - 81 is 1736, which would make John and Agnes marginally too young, I've picked that this should really be 1847 aged 80, which takes him to 1760ish instead)
(Next stone John FAIRBAIRN/Janet SCOTT - John James FB m. Janet Scott is s/o John FB and Jane ROMANIS, and 2 away James F. & Margaret TAIT - James being of Grizzlefield, and Margaret's dth cert showing her as dtr of Alexander TAIT and Mary FAIRBAIRN.9,3)
DNA InfoJohn belongs to a tested line in the FAIRBAIRN Surname DNA Project. Follow this link for supplementary DNA information.
|Agnes Gibson (say 1720 - say 1805)|
|Charts||Lineage 1a2: John & Magdalen (BO) FAIRBAIRN|
|Last Edited||1 Aug 2015|
- [S55] Scottish BMDB entries (to 1854), http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/index.php, Marr. 28 Feb 1749 John FAIRBAIRN (Earlston) & Agnes GIBSON (Legerwood), Legerwood, BEW 749/0010 0063, copy d/loaded Mar 2009.
- [S55] Scottish BMDB entries (to 1854), http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/index.php, Bap. 3 Feb 1717 John s/o John FAIRBAIRN, Lidgatehead Par. of Earlston, 736/0010 0062, copy d/loaded Dec 2009.
- [S2] Lorna Henderson, "FAIRBAIRN Analysis", Sep - Dec 2010.
- [S5] Ancestry.com online at http://search.ancestry.com, 1784 Farms in Berwickshire to let: Morriston & Addiston, possessed by John FAIRBAIRN, from The Edinburgh Advertiser, 26th, 30th Nov 1784, extracted Sep 2010.
- [S56] Scottish BMDB entries (from 1855), http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/index.php, Dth 1876 John FAIRBAIRN, reg. Sth Leith, Cty of Edin, MLN Dist 692/2 Pg 178 #532, copy d/loaded Jul 2007.
- [S55] Scottish BMDB entries (to 1854), http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/index.php, Bap. 9 Jan 1765 Margaret d/o James FAIRBAIRN, tenant, Mellerstain ; and James s/o John FAIRBAIRN, Miller, Mellerstain Mill, same day, recorded Earlston BEW 736/00 0010 0137, copy d/loaded Oct 2010.
- [S55] Scottish BMDB entries (to 1854), http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/index.php, Marr. (cash book) 4 Mar 1786 Magdalen FAIRBAIRN & Peter MACK, Greenlaw, BEW 743/00 0010 0161, copy d/loaded (for John LIDGERWOOD/Isable HENDERSON) Oct 2010.
- [S55] Scottish BMDB entries (to 1854), http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/index.php, Marr. (cash book) 3 Jul 1785 Isable FAIRBAIRN & John MILES, Greenlaw, BEW, copy d/loaded (for John LIDGERWOOD/Isable HENDERSON) Oct 2010.
- [S699] Borders FHS, MIs: BEW: Earlston - book, Stones #578-581 FAIRBAIRN/GIBSON/SCOTT/TAIT, extracted Mar 2009.
- [S14] FAIRBAIRN Surname DNA Project online at http://worldfamilies.net/surnames/fairbairn/results.html, Stewart (F-38), Bob (F-34), (F-42), exact 67/67/ match, extracted from FT DNA GAP, Jun 2011.
- [S2] Lorna Henderson, "FAIRBAIRN Analysis", Sep - Dec 2010, updated Jun 2012.
- [S692] Borders FHS, MIs: BEW Earlston - extracts, #578 FAIRBAIRN/GIBSON, Earlston, Lauder, Greenend, extracted Mar 2009.
- [S55] Scottish BMDB entries (to 1854), http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/index.php, Bap. 19 Nov 1761 Isabell d/o John FAIRBAIRN, miller, Mellerstain Milne, Earlston, BEW 736/00 0010 0132, copy d/loaded Oct 2010.
- [S55] Scottish BMDB entries (to 1854), http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/index.php, Bap. 8 Jul 1763 Agnes d/o John FAIRBAIRN, miller, Mellerstain Miln, Earlston, BEW 736/00 0010 0135, copy d/loaded Oct 2010.
- [S55] Scottish BMDB entries (to 1854), http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/index.php, Bap. 26 Apr 1766 Rachel d/o John FAIRBAIRN, miller, Mellerstain Miln, Earlston, BEW 736/00 0010 0140, copy d/loaded Oct 2010.