John Fairbairn (m. Alice AINSLIE)1
(circa 1771 - 25 Jan 1849)
IntroThere are two contemporary John FAIRBAIRNs buried at Swinton, and dying within months of each other.
A John of the right age was baptised to John and Elizabeth (CARSE) FAIRBAIRN at Swinton in 1769, but which of the two, if either, is not known.
Naming pattern is of little help, although the John married to Helen CAMPBELL, is at least known to have a son John.
From the family of John and Alice/Alison (AINSLIE), it could be deduced that Alexander was an important name to them, with both the 2nd known (short-lived) daughter being Alexandria, and a later son.
John and Alice/Alison (AINSLIE) FAIRBAIRN are also being considered as potential parents for Robert of Eckford of unknown age, this being from the assumption that the John that pre-dates his marriage to Elizabeth YOUNG may be a first son, and the only known daughter was named Margaret Alison, with the Alison assumed to be of significance to Robert's side of the family.2
BDMsJohn Fairbairn was born circa 1771 Swinton?, BEW, SCT.3,4 He married Alison Ainslie on 30 Mar 1792 Par. of Swinton & Simprim, BEW, SCT; cash book entry for 3rd April reads: "John Fairbairn and Alison Ainslie both of this parish having been married by Mr Whynfield Minister of Cornhill on the 30th of March last according to a Certificate attested by the said Mr Whynfield & produced by John Fairbairn paid to the poor 1/2d."1,5,6
John Fairbairn died on 25 Jan 1849 ?Swinton, BEW, SCT; aged 78.1,3 He was buried with Alice Ainslie Swinton, BEW, SCT, Ref #17: FAIRBAIRN, Alexandria, dtr of John F, Swinton 16.9.1796 15 mths. Above John F 25.1.1849 78 yrs wife Alison AINSLIE 8.1.1849 75 yrs dtr Janet 10.7.1856 45 yrs dtr Isabella 12.7.1869 76 yrs.3
CensusJohn Fairbairn and Alison Fairbairn appeared on the census of 1841 Hassington Mains, Par. of Eccles, BEW, SCT, and are assumed to be husband and wife. They were enumerated as FAIRBAIRN: John 70 ag lab; Alison 60 both b BEW; Assumed children: Isabel 30, Alexander 25 ag lab both b BEW; Also Helen SIMPSON 10 b SCT.4
DNA InfoJohn's line needs a/another participant in the FAIRBAIRN Surname DNA Project. Check out the Wanted! page for further information.
|Alice Ainslie (circa 1774 - Jan 1849)|
|Charts||John & Alice/Alison (AINSLIE) FAIRBAIRN|
|Last Edited||20 Jan 2013|
- [S333] GRO, SCT, BDM searches at GRO SCT: Dth 1878 James s/o John & Alice (AINSLIE) FAIRBAIRN, Kelso ROX. transcr. Robert McC, rcvd Dec 2001.
- [S2] Lorna Henderson, "FAIRBAIRN Analysis", Apr 2011.
- [S835] Borders FHS, MIs: Swinton, BEW, Extracted from copy held National Library, Wgtn, NZ Jun 2003.
- [S201] 1841 Census transcripts, Scotland, via Ancestry.com, Eccles, BEW Par 737 ED 1 hsehold of John & Alison FAIRBAIRN, extracted Nov 2007.
- [S888] FAIRBAIRN, International Genealogical Index (IGI), Marr. 30 Mar 1792 John FAIRBAIRN & Alison AINSLIE, Batch M117554, Swinton & Simprin, BEW, extracted c 2000.
- [S55] Scottish BMDB entries (to 1854), http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/index.php, Marr. 30 Mar 1792 John FAIRBAIRN & Alison AINSLIE, Swinton & Simprin, BEW 755/00 0020 0051, copy d/loaded Apr 2011.
- [S56] Scottish BMDB entries (from 1855), http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/index.php, Dth 1875 Henry FAIRBAIRN, reg. Par. of Ladykirk, BEW Dist 746 Pg 1 #3, copy d/loaded Dec 2007.
- [S55] Scottish BMDB entries (to 1854), http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/index.php, Bap. 10 Jan 1808 Alison d/o John FAIRBAIRN, Swinton & Simprim, Dist 755/0010 0232, copy d/loaded Jun 2008.