(circa Aug 1799 - 15 Dec 1848)
|Father-Assmd||Robert Fairbairn (say 1765 - Mar 1832); first son of John and Jane named Robert; bap. of John son of Robert and Elizabeth in 1799 Smailholm mostly fits age of John marr. Jane Waddell; 1841 census shows John as born Scotland, but not Berwickshire, so could be Roxburghshire; atDNA matches between a descendant of John's dtr Christian and 1) a descendant of John's son John (marr. Helen Ross); 2) a double descendant of Robert and Elizabeth's son Andrew;3|
|Mother-Assmd||Elizabeth Crosbie3 (circa 1766 - Mar 1849)|
BDMsJohn Fairbairn was born circa Aug 1799 ROX?, SCT, The 1841 census, if accurate, tells us that John was not born in Berwickshire, and theoretically between 1796 and 1801. The burial record assumed to be John in Coldstream, gives us abt 1795, and the now assumed to be correct baptism is Aug 1799, Smailholm.2,1,4 He was baptized on 25 Aug 1799 Smailholm, ROX, SCT.5 He married Jane Waddell on 23 Nov 1817 Smailholm, ROX.1,2
John Fairbairn died on 15 Dec 1848 Coldstream, BEW, SCT.2,6,4 He was buried on 16 Dec 1848 at Coldstream, Berwickshire, Although his headstone, erected "By Christina Fairbairn, Coldstream" for "her father John Fairbairn Dec 1849, 51 years. Her mother Jane Waddel" shows 1849, it is likely that the headstone was erected later as a burial in Coldstream showing "John Fairbairn 53" as dying 15th, buried 16th Dec, cost 1/-, seems too much of a coincidence.4,6,7
CensusJohn Fairbairn appeared on the census of 1841 Old Quarry Houses, Coldstream, BEW, SCT, with Jane Fairbairn, as FAIRBAIRN: John 40 ag lab b SCT; Jane 40 b BEW; Assumed children: Wm 15, Geo 9, Jesse (male) 7 all b SCT (NB enumerators were instructed to round ages down to the nearest multiple of 5.)2
DNA InfoJohn's line needs a/another participant in the FAIRBAIRN Surname DNA Project. Check out the Wanted! page for further information.
LinksClick here to see John's page on WikiTree, a (free) collaborative on-line tree.11
|Jane Waddell (bet. 1796 - 1801 - aft. 1841)|
|Charts||Lineage 1b4b: Robert and Elizabeth (CROSBIE) Fairbairn|
John and Jane (Waddell) Fairbairn
Wanted: John and Jane (Waddell) Fairbairn
|Last Edited||8 Sep 2017|
- [S1961] Www FAIRBAIRN searches and miscellaneous correspondence by LornaHen (1) FAIRBAIRN/WADDELL, ex RootsWeb Roxburghshire Msge Board, posted Jun 2003, extracted Sep 2003.
- [S201] 1841 Census transcripts, Scotland, via Ancestry.com, Coldstream, BEW Par. 733 ED 1 Pg 17 hsehold of John & Jane FAIRBAIRN, extracted Oct 2010.
- [S1] Lorna Henderson, "FAIRBAIRN Conclusions", Aug 2017.
- [S55] Scottish BMDB entries (to 1854), http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/index.php, Dth 15th Bur. 16th Dec 1848 John FAIRBAIRN, Coldstream, BEW, 733/00 0040 0390, copy d/loaded Apr 2014.
- [S1596] Online search: assorted surnames, International Genealogical Index (IGI), FAIRBAIRN/CROSBIE, batch C118052 1648 - 1820 1067951, 0102302 Film 6901560, extracted Sep 2003.
- [S2978] David RICHARDSON, "EMails re FAIRBAIRN: BEW ex David R," e-mail to Lorna Henderson, H/stone John FAIRBAIRN (d. Dec 1849) & Jane WADDELL, Coldstream, erected by dtr Christina, transcr. rcvd Apr 2014.
- [S2] Lorna Henderson, "FAIRBAIRN Analysis", Apr 2014.
- [S2] Lorna Henderson, "FAIRBAIRN Analysis", Sep and Nov 2011.
- [S1599] Findmypast online at http://www.findmypast.com, 1851: Leeds, Yorkshire (West Riding), HO107/2320 Leeds Cavalry Barracks, F 1186 Pg 18, extracted Nov 2011.
- [S110] Scotlands People Index, "OPR Roxburghshire, Scotland, FAIRBAIRN Births 1538-1854", Birth/Bap.? 6 Jan 1782 John s/o Robert FAIRBAIRN & Agnes WRIGHT, Smailholm, ROX, 805/ 0010 0108, extracted from index May 2012.
- [S3217] WikiTree online at http://WikiTree.com/, Jun-13.
- [S56] Scottish BMDB entries (from 1855), http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/index.php, Dth 29 Jun 1885 Christina d/o John FAIRBAIRN & Jane WADDELL, w/o James FAIRBAIRN, Coldsream, BEW 733 #22, copy d/loaded Nov 2011.
- [S2153] Various, BDM Certified copy, Marr. 10 Jun 1844 James s/o John FAIRBAIRN & Mary Ann d/o Thomas BAINES, Sheffield, YKS, copy rcvd Nov 2010.
- [S5] Ancestry.com online at http://search.ancestry.com, Marr. 23 Jan 1853 Andrew s/o John FAIRBAIRN; Eliza d/o Wm CLARKE, Par. Ch, Plumstead, KEN, from London Metropolitan Archives, Saint Nicholas, Plumstead, Register of marriages, P97/NIC, Item 026, extracted Apr 2010.
- [S5] Ancestry.com online at http://search.ancestry.com, Marr. 3 Nov 1853 George (22) s/o John FAIRBAIRN & Sarah (25) d/o Thomas BURGESS, Bradford St Peters (Bradford Cathedral), from West Yorkshire Archive Service, Wakefield, Yorkshire, England; Yorkshire Parish Records; Old Reference Number: 40D90/1/3/44; New Reference Number: BDP14, extracted Sep 2011.